Friday, March 20, 2009

prospectus

"Main Entry: pro·spec·tus
Pronunciation:
\prə-ˈspek-təs, prä-\
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin, prospect
Date: 1765
1 : a preliminary printed statement that describes an
enterprise (as a business or publication) and that is distributed to
prospective
buyers, investors, or participants
2 : something (as a
statement or
situation) that forecasts the course or nature of
something"

In my intro to Political Science class, 50% of our grade comes from a writing assignment called a Prospectus.

In my prospectus, I will be discussing the Supreme Court, specifically about how they make decisions on particular cases.

All prospectus must have a research question and a "if-then" statement, which gives the hypothesized plan and outcome.

My Research question is: "Therefore, should the United States Supreme Court rely on past precedent when establishing jurisprudence on matters related to the Unites States Constitution?"

Exciting, right? Well, I think so!

And basically in my paper I will be discussing the prospect of the U.S. Supreme Court relying on past cases and the precedents set to rule on future cases. I haven't done much study on the Supreme Court, which is one of the reasons I chose this topic!

I also like writing about Foreign Policy..I wrote a research paper, taking the position that the United States should pull out of the UN and I also have written a "white paper" on Conservatism's role in U.S. Politics. I can't wait until I start taking more classes for my major and can write papers on other "political things".

One thing I haven't studied much is Political Thought and Theory. Fortunately, I'm getting some of that in my intro to poly sci class. I am looking forward to taking a class on Classic Political Theory which will discuss Plato, Aristotle, and great ancient empires.


No comments: